Child abuse

If you are a child who is being abused, or if you are worrying about a child who is being abused, please contact us:

  • 01758 704 455
    (Out of hours number: 01248 353551)


Are you being abused- at home or by someone else?  Is someone at home being treated badly by someone else? Do you have a friend who needs help because they are being abused?

Abuse can happen in many ways:

  • physical abuse: hitting, shaking, throwing, burning or using medication to harm someone.
  • emotional abuse: making someone feel worthless, telling them that no-one loves them; frightening them - threatening harm, being nasty; exploitation for work or sex.
  • sexual abuse: forcing someone to participate in sexual activity, forcing someone to look at and/or create pornographic content. Encouraging someone to engage in sexually inappropriate behaviour.
  • neglect: not providing suitable food, accommodation or clothing; not preventing harm or physical risk, not ensuring access to care or medical treatment; not ensuring that the child receives regular education.

What to do

  • Contact Social Services and tell them what's happening.
    Phone: 01758 704 455
    (Out of hours number: 01248 353551)
  • E-mail:
  • In an emergency – like when someone is being hit or shut out of their home – call the police on 999
  • Ring Childline on 0800 1111 or go to the ChildLine website
  • You can ask an adult that you trust, like a teacher or youth worker or even a friend, to make the phone call for you. When people are working with children and young people they have to follow set procedures, but they will explain to you what they will do and will support you through the process.
  • If you are bullied, take a look at the ChildlineKidscape and SortIt websites.

If something bothers you or makes you scared, and you're not sure if it's abuse, talk to someone you trust.

Abuse means either harming someone or not ensuring that someone isn't harmed. Abuse or neglect can happen within a family or an organisation, by people who are familiar, or less often by a stranger.

If you know a child who is at risk of abuse or is being abused, it’s very important to let the Council or the police know.

If the individual is in direct danger, call the police immediately - 999.

If not, telephone Social Services as soon as possible to share your concern.

  • Social Services: 01758 704 455
    (Out of hours number: 01248 353551)

What information will i need to share?

  • What is the nature of your concern and what led to it?
  • What is the victim's name, date of birth, address and family details? (if known)
  • Who has caused you this concern, and are there any other witnesses?

What happens next?

  • Your call will be logged and information about the individual will be checked to see whether they are familiar.
  • Information will be collected from other agencies that might have links to the individual.
  • On the basis of this information, a decision will be made whether or not to investigate your concern.
  • This could lead to rigorous steps take to safeguard the individual from suffering further harm. 


Useful information from North Wales Police about County Lines

County lines | North Wales Police

County Lines 


Useful advice and support for children, young people and parents

Since 2006, Thinkuknow has been keeping children and young people safe by providing education about sexual abuse and sexual exploitation. It aims to ensure that everyone has access to this practical information including children, young people, their parents and carers and the professionals who work with them.

E-safety tips, advice and resources to help children and young people stay safe online.

Helping parents keep their children safe online

Keep your child safe online

Tips and advice for keeping your children safe on social networks, apps and games. So your child can make the right decisions with the right support online.

CEOP is there to keep children safe from sexual abuse and grooming online.

- Are you worried about online sexual abuse or the way someone has been communicating with you online?

- Are you worried that your child is being groomed online or sexually exploited?

Report your concerns to one of CEOP's Child Protection Advisors

Here's the Alcohol Harm Reduction Strategy 2020-24 by the North Wales Area Planning Board.

The Partnership has developed a Cocaine Awareness Campaign. Many people see recreational use of cocaine as a victimless crime. Our campaign highlights the wider impact on communities and families in terms of exploitation, health and wellbeing, and crime.

Posters are available to download here:


AGRO (Anglesey & Gwynedd Recovery Organisation)

A volunteer-based organisation, run by people in recovery for people in recovery. The purpose of AGRO is to promote recovery from alcohol and other drug problems through activity, supporting families, raising awareness, breaking down stigma and providing information in Anglesey and Gwynedd.



Be di’r Sgôr?

This service is available to every young person in both counties. The provision offers information, advice and targeted and specialist work. It is possible to self-refer to this service. A parent can also make a referral but the individual must agree to be referred and work with the Service.




A regional service that works with substance misuse and mental health service users in order to ensure that their voices are heard and contribute towards polices/service development etc.




Available across North Wales, this Service is for individuals who have a problem relating to alcohol and/or drugs, or in cases where a close relative’s alcohol or drug use affects you. It is possible to self-refer to this service on the CAIS website or by phoning. 



OK Rehab

OK Rehab specalise in drug and alcohol rehab, and addiction treatment. They work in partnership with over 140 establishments across the UK and abroad.


DAN 24/7

Free and confidential alcohol and drugs helpline, the telephone number will not appear on a home itemised bill. Support/chat 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Information about services/drugs etc. is available on their website.




A free and confidential helpline for children of all ages who need support and a chat due to one of their parents/carers’ excessive drinking. The telephone number will not appear on a home itemised bill.



North Wales Recovery Communities (Penrhyn House)

Supports individuals to establish Recovery from substance abuse by providing abstinence-based housing and open access therapeutic programmes. 



Alcohol Harm Reduction Strategy 

Alcohol Harm Reduction Strategy - Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (


Substance Misuse Delivery Plan

substance-misuse-delivery-plan-2019-to-2022.pdf (



The Area Planning Board, welcome service user engagement to, influence decision making, and coproduction to help influence, decision making that are implemented within the two main strategies. 

Home Page - Caniad 

When a family member is imprisoned, children often experience significant pressures and emotional turmoil. This situation can lead to feelings of isolation within schools and an increased likelihood of facing negative outcomes, which may impact their future adversely. This also affects children and families who have a parent or family member involved elsewhere in the criminal justice system, not just in prison. The FABI project aims to enhance understanding of the challenges confronted by these families, promote preventative efforts, and provide specific and supporting resources without stigmatization. 


Families Affected By Imprisonment (FABI) Within North Wales 

 Youth Justice Service


 Working together to safeguard people:Code of safeguarding practice

 Staying safe when enjoying activities and using services leaflet