EU settlement scheme

EU citizens and their families will have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021 (the deadline will be 31 December 2020 if there is a no deal Brexit)

To apply, go to: Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme


Gwynedd Council's ID scanning service

You can confirm your identity for the first stage of your application through the EU Exit ID Document Check app (available on the App Store for iPhone 7 or more recenet or on Android devices via the Google Play Store).

If you are unable to use the EU settlement scheme's app on your phone or device, Gwynedd Council is offering an ID scanning service. 

The scanning service is available at Siop Gwynedd, Caernarfon by appointment. To arrange an appointment, please call 01766 771000.

The service is free of charge if you live in Gwynedd, and costs £14 if you live outside of Gwynedd. You can pay on the day using cash, a credit or debit card.

Please bring: 

  • a mobile phone that can receive texts, or a device that can receive emails so you can be sent a code that you will need to enter in your online application
  • EU biometric passport if you’re an EU citizen, OR
  • UK residence card with a biometric chip if you’re the non-EU family member of an EU citizen

We cannot accept national identity cards.

Please note that this is a scanning only service. We cannot provide any advice on your application, immigration or settled status.

Help with your application

You can access a computer, and receive basic advice on how to complete the application form at any Gwynedd library

The Government also offers an Assisted Digital service if you do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the online form. Please call 03333 445 675 or text 'VISA' to 07537 416 944: Monday to Friday 9am-6pm or Saturday 9am-4pm.

The Welsh Government also provides legal assistance to EU citizens through Newfields Law. It provides an advisory service to EU citizens and their (EU or non-EU) family members who are based in Wales and wish to submit applications to the EU Settlement Scheme. 

Further information, advice and support is also available from your local Citizens Advice.