What goes into the bin?

Blue recycling box / Cartgylchu

  • paper – news paper, magazines, office paper, junk mail, shredded paper
  • food and drink cans
  • glass bottles and jars
  • foil
  • aerosols  
  • plastic bottles 
  • plastic pots, tubs and trays - yoghurt or butter pots, plastic containers for fruit and vegetables and meat trays
  • food and drink cartons - fruit juice or soup cartons         
  • card

Please note: Do not put clothes in the blue recycling box. Take them to your local recycling centre/bank.

We do not accept batteries in the blue box/ cartgylchu, please take them to your local recycling centre.

Please separate the items within the box.

For information regarding what happened to your recycling visit the Recycle for Wales website.


Brown food bin

  • any type of food waste – cooked or raw e.g. fruit and vegetable peelings, cheese, bread, beans, meat, eggs, plate scraps, food passed it’s best before date, tea bags, fish etc.
  • do not put liquids such as milk or oil in the bin 

Please use the bags provided to line the brown food waste bin. Do not use any other bags.

To order more food waste bags use the Order new bin / equipment form or contact us on 01766 771000.

What happens to food waste?

How to use the brown food bin?


Brown garden waste bin / garden waste bags 

  • grass
  • leaves
  • twigs 
  • flower/plants 
  • weeds

The waste should be loose in the bin / bags.

PLEASE NOTE! There is an annual fee for garden waste collection (brown bin). Further details and order your collection.


Green waste bin / black bin bags

  • any household waste that cannot be recycled

We will empty  one green bin from each property every three weeks (or 3 black bags). We will not collect any additional bags or side waste. 

If you live on a narrow access road where the narrow access lorry collects your waste, you must ensure that your waste is in bin bags and not loose in the bin.


Other collections

Nappies: to set-up a weekly nappies collection please call 01766 771 000.

A yellow sack will be left at the house each week on the collection day.


Back door collections: to apply for a back door collection a written request explaining the circumstances must be made. Please submit a written request to: Back Door Collections, Highways and Municipal Services Department,Gwynedd Council Offices, Cibyn, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 2BF. Applications must include the following information:
  • Information regarding the circumstances leading to the request.
  • Medical evidence if the information regarding the circumstances is not apparent;
  • A statement regarding a disabled register number if applicable;
  • Information regarding any other person living with the applicant who could reasonably deal with the refuse/recyclables on their behalf;
  • Preferred location from which the receptacles are to be collected


Electrical equipment: we don’t collect electrical equipment as part of the green waste collection. Please take them to your local recycling centre (or arrange for a bulky waste collection)


Clinical waste: it is possible to arrange a clinical waste collection for items such as medicine, dressings and needles. This is usually arranged by your community nurse. For further information, call 01766 771000.