In 2009 Gwynedd Council approved a strategy to reorganise the County's schools.
Six principal aims are Identified by the strategy:
• appropriately-sized classes and high quality school leadership
• promote and strengthen the Welsh language
• develop a pro-active and creative long-term scheme
• make the best use of available resources
• create the best possible learning environment for the county's children and teachers
• develop schools into establishments that are central to community activity.
Prosiectau sydd ar y gweill:
School Reorganisation Programme
The schools reorganisation programme reviews schools within catchment areas, and through a thorough consultation process, develop reorganisation models for these schools.
The programme considers many aspects when implementing any changes, including:
• quality of education
• the number of pupils
• the number of empty places
• quality and aptness of the building
• leadership situation and other considerations.
21st Century Schools Programme
The 21st Century Schools Programme is a scheme which builds and upgrades the county's schools.
These projects are partially funded the Welsh Government and Gwynedd Council investment.
These are some of the schools which have/ or will in future benefit from the programme:
• Hendre School (opened April 2012)
• A new Centre of Excellence for Special Education to replace Hafod Lon, to serve Meirionnydd and Dwyfor areas (to be Located at Penrhyndeudraeth)
• New building for School of Glancegin, Maesgeirchen, Bangor deilad newydd i Ysgol Glancegin, Maesgeirchen, Bangor
21st Century Schools
Band B - 21st Century Schools Program
The Government is now directing its vision towards the second phase of the Twenty-first Century Schools Program (Band B), which will begin in April 2019. At their meeting on 12 June 2018, the Cabinet decided to approve in principle the initial priorities for Band B. A copy of the report can be found here (item 8).
This came after receiving a request from the Welsh Government asking each authority to establish their priorities for Band B of the program – for a copy of the business case submitted by Gwynedd Council, click here.
• Excellent Primary Education for Children in Gwynedd
• Education: Strategy Programme - Towards 2025
• Review of Gwynedd School Reorganisation Process (16/12/10)
• School Organisation Statutory Code 011 2018
• School Organisation Statutory Code 006 2013
• School Organisation: consultation with children and young people 119/2013
• Priorities Plan Reorganisation of Education Provision
• Welsh Government Schools Organisation Guidelines - Circular 021/2009
• Special sheet News - Wales Audit Office Report 2012
• School Organisation Newsletter July 2012