Tree Preservation Order

The Tree Preservation Order protects our tree / trees. It is placed on attractive trees, or which enhance the appearance of an area..

If a tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order, you CANNOT do any of the following without consent:

  • fell or uproot the tree
  • prune the tree’s branches
  • carry out any work which might damage the tree

If you are caught carrying out unauthorised work on a tree which is under a Tree Preservation Order, you could be prosecuted and face a fine of up to £20,000.

For more information go to the Welsh Assembly Government website: Protected Trees: a guide to tree preservation procedures.


Before carrying out any work on any tree, you should check whether it is protected by a Tree Preservation Order by calling 01766 771000.

Please note: You also need consent before carrying out any work on trees within Conservation Areas.

In order to carry out work on a tree which is protected by a Tree Preservation Order within Gwynedd (excluding Snowdonia National Park) you will need to submit an application:

  • By post: Download the Application for tree works form and return it to the address at the bottom of the application form itself.
  • Phone: 01766 771000 and request a copy of the form in paper format by post.

There is no fee for submitting the application. A decision will normally be made within 8 weeks.

If the tree is dead or dangerous, you must give at least 5 days notice (you won’t need to submit a formal application to fell the tree). Contact us:

  • Online: General enquiry about planning
    (you will need to create an account if you don't already have one)
  • By post: Planning Service, Council Offices, Ffordd y Cob, Pwllheli, Gwynedd. LL53 5AA 

If you suspect that unauthorised work has been done, or is being done, on a tree which is protected by a Tree Preservation Order, please let us know:

We will investigate the case within 24 hours and will take legal action if necessary.


More information

For more information contact us:

REMEMBER! If the development is within Snowdonia National Park, you will need to contact the Snowdonia National Park Authority not Gwynedd Council. To see if the development is within the National Park, look at the map - Snowdonia National Park Area.