An 800 acre park with some of the most spectacular scenery in North Wales of Padarn lake, Dolbadarn Castle and beyond to Snowdon.
This park is open daily all year round.
Quarry Hospital Museum
Come visit the old quarry hospital. See original medical equipment from the 1800’s, operating theatre, ward, original X-ray machine, gruesome medical equipment and a mortuary!
Open during the Easter and Summer Holidays.
The closest car park for the Quarry Hospital is the Gilfach Ddu Car Park which is a 10 minutes walk from the hospital. The car park fee is £5.00 and can be paid using the pay and display machines on site or via PayByPhone.
Things to do:
- Llyn Padarn – famous site for the Arctic Char – salvelinus alpinus
- Lon Las Peris – family cycling track
- Listed Ancient Monument – Vivien Quarry
- Launching and landing pontoon for canoes, rowing and sailing boats
- Check the depth and the water bed by walking in carefully. Areas of the lake bed can fall away sharply.
- Enter the water slowly to get used to it.
- Don't jump or dive in, you don’t know how deep it is and the lake bed consists of sharp slate. You could also get shocked by the cold.
- Pick a swim route along the shoreline for a quick escape
- Be Seen! Wear a bright swim cap and tow a bright float. Boaters may not be able to see swimmers!
- Wear a wetsuit to keep you warmer and more buoyant.
- Never swim alone. Have support - a canoe, kayak or paddleboard work well ideally displaying a white and blue Alpha flag, warning of divers or swimmers in the water
- The Lake can be cold, even on a hot summers day. Exposure to cold water can rapidly lead to hypothermia, and the early symptoms like struggling to move your hands, can quickly make swimming more difficult than normal.
- Don't stay in too long.
- Have lots of layers, a hat, and a warm drink ready for when you get out of the water, even in summer.
- Only swim when weather conditions are suitable - remember they can change quickly
Rowing boats, canoes, kayaks and paddleboards:
- Wear a CE approved life jacket or buoyancy aid.
- Wear your life jacket when you’re near or on the water
- Canoe, kayak and paddleboard with someone else and stay close to the shore
- Wind can change direction suddenly and get stronger quickly. It could cause you to drift to the opposite end of the lake
- Look out for open water swimmers. They can be hard to spot. Watch out for blue and white flags
- Keep as far away from swimmers and their support boats as possible
- No powered boats permitted on the lake
Help Llyn Padarn's wildlife
Llyn Padarn is a Site Of Special Scientific Interest.
Invasive non-native species of wildlife can hitchhike here on your equipment, footwear, swimwear clothing and craft. You may inadvertently spread these aliens, even if you just go for a paddle.
Every time you leave the lake you should: CHECK – CLEAN – DRY
- CHECK your equipment and clothing for living organisms. Pay particular attention to damp or hard to inspect areas.
- CLEAN and wash all equipment, footwear, swimwear and clothes thoroughly. If you do come across any organisms, leave them at the water body where you found them or on a hard surface to die out.
- DRY all your equipment and clothing. Some species can live for many days in damp conditions.
Water Quality – Llyn Padarn is tested on a regular basis by Natural Resources Wales.
In an emergency contact 999.
Group activity organisers require a permit to undertake activities on and around Llyn Padarn and its environs.
A fee will be due to Parc Padarn for the license required to carry out group activities.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Fishing on Llyn Padarn requires two things to be in place:
- You need a valid rod licence if you are aged 13 or over.
- You must always carry your rod licence when you’re fishing or you could be prosecuted and fined up to £2,500.
- Details on how to obtain a license by Natural Resources Wales.
- You will need the permission from the holders of the Lake fishing rights which are Seiont, Gwyrfai and Llyfni Fishing Society by purchasing a ticket or membership.
To hold any event in Parc Padarn a license is required.
For more information and complete the online application form, go to: Information for event organisers