Social Housing

Applying for Social Housing in Gwynedd

Are you looking for a comfortable home in Gwynedd for a reasonable price? Social Housing could be the answer for you, providing rental housing for affordable prices. Social housing is provided in Gwynedd by Adra, Grŵp Cynefin and North Wales Housing. 

Changes to housing allocation

The way social housing in Gwynedd is allocated is about to change to make local people who are in need of housing the priorty. 

After a consultation in 2019, the new policy which will be introduced in the coming months will offer a simpler system for people wanting to apply for social housing by strengthening the emphasis on local and community connection. 

The new policy is based on ‘banding’ the housing need of applicants instead of the old complicated points-based system. It will divide applications into four categories, from those 'in urgent housing need with a Gwynedd connection' down to those 'with no housing need but with a Gwynedd connection'. 

“We want to offer a system that’s far easier for people to understand and which ultimately ensures that local people who have the greatest housing need get the homes they require,” said Gwynedd Council Cabinet Member for Housing, Councillor Craig ab Iago. 

“People have told us that the old system can be difficult to understand and that more should be done so that housing is offered to people who have a stronger connection with the local community. 

“By listening to these comments, we’re now introducing a new and progressive system that will get to grips with the needs of people by introducing a new system that’s easier to understand. 

“This new policy will make sure that the people of Gwynedd are given as much priority as possible within the housing system and prioritise those applicants with the greatest need, as well as their connection with the county and individual communities.” 

In Gwynedd, social housing is available from Adra, Grŵp Cynefin and North Wales Housing. Properties are offered through the county’s common housing register which is administered by Gwynedd Council’s Housing Options Team. 

The Council will be writing to everyone on the register shortly to explain the new system and to let them know how this will affect their application. 


Frequently asked questions

Am I eligible for social housing?

Social housing is allocated on the basis of need. In Gwynedd we use a system which gives points to reflect an applicant’s circumstances and needs. Homes will be offered to the applicant who has the most points for a property that becomes vacant for letting. If your circumstances include one or more of the following then you could be eligible to receive points on your application:

  • you have a local connection with Gwynedd
  • you have a connection with the community in which they wish to be housed 
  • you are on a low income
  • you are legally owed a duty by a housing authority
  • you need to move to a specific location in order to avoid hardship (for yourself or others).
  • you need to move for their health / welfare
  • you live in insanitary / overcrowded or otherwise unsatisfactory housing
  • you are homeless or threatened with homelessness or are owed a homeless duty by a local authority

How do I apply for a Social House?

To be considered for social housing you must be on the Gwynedd Common Housing Register. If you are not on the register the first step is to contact Gwynedd Housing Options:

We will then send you an application form to apply to go on the register. 

You can download the form here:

What happens next?

We’ll discuss your needs with you in order to decide on the best way forward. If you are not eligible to be on the Common Housing Register, we’ll discuss other options that might be available to you. Being on the register does not guarantee anyone a house.

In order to ensure that the process of allocating social housing is fair, Gwynedd Council and the housing associations have published a document which gives details of the process. The document, the Common Housing Allocations Policy, is based on statutory requirements and on guidance by the Welsh Government. 

Properties currently available to let

Click on the following links to the websites or Facebook pages of the housing associations which includes details of the social properties currently available:

There are over 7,500 units of social housing located across the county. They range from single person accommodation to family houses. There is also provision for housing particularly suitable for older persons. Click below to see details of their location:

What if I already live in social housing?

If you want to move from your current home you will need to register on the Common Housing Register. However if you are having difficulties with any aspect of your tenancy you should contact, in the first place, your housing association for advice:

Want to move home?

Some social housing tenants may be eligible to swap their home with another tenant. This is called a tenancy exchange. More information on this is available by contacting your housing association, or visit websites such as Homeswapper or House Swap Wales which are a quick and easy way to find the right home for you. See the leaflets below for more information: