Parking spaces for disabled people
If you have a profound disability and need to secure a Parking Space for a Disabled Person near to or outside your home, you must complete a form before we can consider your application. An application form is available from the address below.
When we receive your completed form we will process and prioritise your application during one of our panel meetings which are held twice a year.
If your application is successful we will contact you to arrange to complete the work.
What are the criteria for permitting a disabled parking space for a disabled person?
It must be noted that only a small number of applications can be approved each year and only those cases in most need as a result of poor health and severe impairment will qualify.
In order to be considered for a disabled people's parking facility, the following criteria must be satisfied fully by the applicant:
- Must be severely disabled and unable to walk more than a very short distance unaided, and meet the eligibility criteria of the Social Services. A leaflet is available explaining these.
- The Council may ask for the support of a doctor's note about your ability to walk and state of health.
- Must possess and be able to drive their own vehicle.
- Must qualify for a Disabled People's Parking Badge and have regular and constant need for transport.
- The frontage of the applicant's property is a suitable site for a disabled parking bay.
- Cul de sacs and other such areas will not be considered due to the likelihood of the traffic order being rejected by other residents.
- In addition, we may ask that applications which meet all initial criteria be assessed further by a council official.
- The provision of a Parking Space for a Disabled Person requires the making of a Traffic Regulation Order involving a lengthy legal procedure.
- Such a bay provided outside your home would be for the sole use (unless otherwise stated on the frontage sign) of the recipient. Should your circumstances change thus resulting in no further need for the parking space, then the space will be removed.
- A Parking Space for a Disabled Person will only be considered where there is no available space within the boundary of the property for parking facilities which may include placing a drive or garage on the property.
- If there is room within your property to create a drive or garage you will be expected to undertake this work privately.
What if my application is refused?
If we refuse your application you will be sent a letter explaining the reason why the application was refused. If you disagree with the decision you should write to the address below with more information explaining why you should be reconsidered.
- Address: Parking Space Applications, Adult, Health and Wellbeing, Frondeg, Pwllheli, Gwynedd, LL53 5RE
- Telephone: 01758 704417
It must be noted, however, that if the application has been refused because of legal parking restrictions that exist on the site the Transport Unit will not revert the decision.
Complaints and comments
If you are not happy with any aspect of the service and wish to take the matter further, you may submit the complaint to the attention of:
- Address: Customer Care and Information Unit, Council Offices, Shirehall Street, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 1SH
- Telephone: (01286) 679549
Likewise, we would like to hear from you if you have any comments about the service we provide. Your comments are valuable so that we can monitor and improve the service.
All leaflets can be provided in large print, Braille, on cassette, electronically, or in any other language as required.