High hedges

We encourage everybody to manage their hedges and trees in the same way as they would expect their neighbours to do. The following examples are considered to be high hedges:

  • a hedge which is over 2 metres tall
  • a hedge which blocks daylight from a neighbouring property / garden
  • most of the hedge in question comprises a line of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen shrubs or trees

Complaining about a high hedge

Gwynedd Council deals with all complaints about high hedges in Gwynedd, even within the Snowdonia National Park area.

You should only complain to the Council as a last resort, when all other attempts to solve the problem have failed. The first step is to discuss the situation with your neighbour. You should keep a record of every contact and correspondence between you and your neighbour regarding the issue.

If you have failed to settle the dispute with your neighbour you can submit a complaint to the Council. Download the form below, fill it in and return it to the address at the bottom of the form itself, with the fee, or phone 01766 771000.


When you submit a complaint about a high hedge you will need to send a cheque for £320 payable to Gwynedd Council. Your complaint will not be considered until the fee has been paid. This fee is non-refundable.

Steps which will be taken by the Council

The Council will decide whether it’s reasonable to say that the hedge is having an adverse affect on your enjoyment of your property or garden. If so, the Council will consider what steps to take to solve the dispute and prevent the problem from recurring.

If the Council decides that action is necessary, the person responsible for the hedge will receive a formal notice. Failure to comply with the formal notice is an offence which could lead to the hedge owner being prosecuted.


The complainant and the hedge owner have a right to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate against the decision of the Council. This must be done within 28 days from the date on which the Council made the decision. For more information, go to:

More information

or contact us: