Help to pay for childcare

You can get help paying for childcare if it’s by a registered provider such as :

  • childminder, nursery, cylch meithrin, play scheme or club
  • childminder with a registered childminder agency or childcare agency

Schemes that could be available for you:


  • Tax-free childcare scheme:  Helping working families with the cost of childcare.  
  • Flying Start Childcare: Up to 12.5 hours of childcare is available for children aged 2-3 years free during the three school terms if you live in a Flying Start area. Use the postcode checker to see if you qualify for the scheme or not.

  • 2 Year Old Childcare: Families living within certain postcodes are eligible to receive up to 12.5 hours of free Childcare from the term after a child's 2nd birthday.
  • Childcare Offer For Wales:  Working parents of 3 and 4 year olds may get a maximum 30 hours of combined education and childcare.
  • Child Tax Credit: Help for families with children and working people on low incomes.
  • Working Tax Credit: Help families with children and working people on low incomes.
  • Universal Credit You may be able to claim back up to 85% of your childcare costs if you’re eligible for Universal Credit.

  • Student Finance Wales:  Qualifying students in higher education may be able to claim a childcare grant.
    Students in further education studying in Wales may also be able to claim help with the cost of childcare from the Financial Contingency Fund. Ask for details at your college's student support office.

  • National Insurance credits:  You may be entitled if you are a grandparent, or other family member, caring for a child under 12 years old, usually while the parent or main carer is working.  

For further support please contact the Family Information Service: