Register a birth
Every child who is born within Wales or England must be registered within 6 weeks (42 days) of the birth.
Register the birth of a baby born in Gwynedd
You can register the birth of a baby who is born in Gwynedd at any of Gwynedd’s registry offices by prior arrangements. Registration will take about 30 minutes.
- To arrange an appointment: call 01766 771000.
- To cancel an appointment: If you are unable to attend the appointment it is important that you let us know. Call 01766 771000.
Register the birth of a baby born outside Gwynedd
If you live in Gwynedd and the baby is born outside the county, you can give a declaration of the birth at any of Gwynedd’s registry offices by prior arrangement. The Gwynedd registration office will then send the information on to the registration office in the area where the baby was born.
- To arrange an appointment: Call 01766 771000.
- To cancel an appointment: If you are unable to attend the appointment it's important you let us know. Call 01766 771000.
Births can also be registered directly with the registration office in the area where the baby was born. For information about other registration districts please visit the Gov.uk website.
Information the registrar will need
The registrar will require the following information:
- date and place of birth, sex, first name(s) and surname of the baby
- mother’s full name (and maiden name); date and place of birth; usual address; occupation (optional); date of wedding (if married to the baby’s father); number of other children
- to register the details of father/second parent the registrar will need the full name; date and place of birth; occupation at time of birth (or previous occupation)
When you register the birth of a baby you will receive 1 free copy of the short birth certificate. This certificate is sufficient to claim child benefit, although many other official processes will ask for a copy of a standard (full) certificate. When you register the birth of a baby, you will be offered to purchase a short or a full birth certificate.
- Cost Short birth certificate: £11.00 per copy during the registration.
Standard birth certificate: £11.00 per copy during the registration
- How to pay? You can pay during the registration appointment with cash, debit / credit card, cheque or postal order payable to ‘Gwynedd Council’.
PLEASE NOTE: If the baby has been born outside of Gwynedd and you are giving a statutory declaration of the birth, any additional copies must be paid for by cheque or postal order payable to the relevant registration district (not Gwynedd Council). The registrar can advise you on the day.
You can buy additional copies of birth certificates at any time. For prices of additional copies, go to the copies of birth certificates page on this website.
For further information call us on: 01766 771000.