Recycling and waste collections in severe weather
To help prevent litter and keep your community tidy please follow these recycling tips in poor weather conditions.
- If your recycling containers are only half full and you can manage, please consider waiting until the following collection when the weather may be calmer to leave them out.
- Put your waste and recycling containers out on the morning of collection, as close to, but no later than 6.00am and retrieve as soon as possible after collection.
- Where possible place containers in a sheltered spot, for instance against a fence or wall facing inwards to reduce exposure to the wind and 'box' lighter bags or containers in with heavier items.
- Marking your house number or name on your containers will make it easier for collection crews or neighbours to return them after collection.
- Our crews will make every possible practical effort to pick up materials they drop and may be able to pick up wind-blown items close to containers, but they cannot always pick up items that have blown long distances down the street. Please do all you can to help to avoid wind-blown waste and report any serious litter problems