Pavement (street cafe)

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement in England and Wales you require a licence from your local authority. This process is subject to a risk assessment and public consultation.

Conditions may be attached and a fee may be payable.

Frontage and walkway consent may have to be obtained first.

Application evaluation process
Public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations.
All representations received must be considered. Any other relevant authorities must be consulted.

Consents must not be unreasonably withheld.

You can complete and send this application form: Application for pavement licence (street cafe)

For further information call us on: 01766 771000.

Relevant legislation
Highways Act 1980 section 115B /115E 

Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. 

Failed application redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.  An appointed arbitrator will determine if consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Licence holder redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance. An appointed arbitrator will adjudicate if there is disagreement as to conditions attached.

Consumer complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.