Occupation of road in connection with building work

You must have a permit to make a temporary excavation in the street and to store materials or equipment on the highway.


How do I apply?

Companies or individuals that apply must have public liability insurance worth £10 million.

Download an application form and send it to the Street Works Unit (with the fee) to see if the sight is suitable and return by post to the address below:

Post:  Street Works Unit, Environment Department, Gwynedd Council, Caernarfon, LL55 1SH
Phone: 01766 771 000

Note: Please allow 15 working days for your application to be considered (including consultation period).  A representative from the street works unit will contact you via e-mail / letter after 10 working days.


How much does it cost?

£153 (per week) to store/place materials on the Public Highway

£249 to make a temporary excavation in the highway 

Note: The relevant fee must be paid before considering your application.  If your application is successful the Street Work Unit will issue your license.


How to pay?

Phone: Call 01766 771 000 to pay with a debit or credit card.
Post: Enclose the relevant fee with your application form (cheques payable to Gwynedd Council).

Note: The application fee is non-refundable.