Tattooing and other cosmetic piercing procedures

All persons that carry out tattooing, semi-permanent skin-colouring, cosmetic piercing, electrolysis and acupuncture in Gwynedd must be registered with Gwynedd Council.


If you work from premises, the premises must also be registered.


Once registered you will be issued with a certificate of registration.

Eligibility criteria
You must provide specific information including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practicing without a licence in this field.


A fee will be charged.


For more information and an application form, call 01766 771000.



Relevant legislation
Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (external link)


Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.


Failed application redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.


Licence holder redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.


Consumer complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.