Performing animals

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with your local authority.

Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in. Applications may be subject to a fee.

For more information and an application form, call 01766 771000.


Animal Licensing Establishments 2024 - 2025

Relevant legislation
Performing Animals Act (Regulation) 1925 

Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. 

Failed application redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress
A police officer or officer of the local authority may make a complaint to the local Magistrates Court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.

Trade associations
The International Marine Animal Trainers' Association