Private rented accommodation conditions

The landlord is responsible for ensuring that rented accommodation is fit to live in.

If you’re concerned about conditions in your accommodation, you should contact the landlord or his agent first. If the landlord doesn’t do the repairs / improvements within a reasonable time get in touch with Gwynedd Council's Private Sector Housing Team.

We will investigate complaints about: 

  • the structure of the property
  • baths, sinks and other sanitary installations
  • heating and hot water installations
  • gas and electrical installations
  • health and safety matters
  • damp and mould growth
  • poor heating and thermal efficiency
  • fire safety and means of escape.

We can also look into the landlord’s management practices.


Safety of goods in rented accommodation

Regulations apply regarding the safety of goods in furnished or part furnished houses, flats, bedsits, holiday homes, caravans and boats.

The law applies to letting agents, estate agents and private landlords.

  • Safety of furnished let accommodation

Contact us

Assessment of housing (HHSRS)

The Council can assess housing using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System. The HHSRS covers health and safety hazards like damp, mould, temperature, pollutants (lead, asbestos, radiation etc), lack of space or light, too much noise, food safety and personal hygiene issues, fall dangers, electrical hazards and structural problems.

Category 2 hazards get a score of 1000 or less under the HHSRS; category 1 hazards score over 1000. The Council has many enforcement options. Both categories can be served improvement, prohibition or hazard awareness notices; category 1 can be served orders for demolition, clearance, emergency remedial action or emergency prohibition.