Your information

We rely on receiving and sharing information so that we can look at your social care needs and discuss with you the services that are available to meet them.

For some people, giving even basic information can be a sensitive issue. You have a right to expect any information you provide to be treated as confidential. This also goes for information given about you by someone else, like a relative or your doctor.


What information do you hold about people who receive services?

This depends on the nature of the service we provide, but can include details like:

  • date of birth, name, address
  • personal circumstances, health, lifestyle, financial situation
  • record of meetings with you and others, decisions made and services provided.

The records ar kept in paper files or on a computer. They are always treated confidentially and held securely. Only people who are directly concerned with your care can see them – nobody else gets to see them without your permission. Some records are held for many years; others are destroyed after a period of time.


Can I see the information you hold about me?

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right to see what personal information we hold about you. There are certain situations where we may not be able to let you see some or all of the information, for example:

  • if it mentions someone else
  • if giving you the information may cause you harm
  • if it is needed for the prevention or detection of a crime.

If we are unable to give you access to some information we will normally tell you why.


How do I get the information?

Contact us using the details below to request a form by e-mail or post.

To make an application, you will have to:

  • fill in the application form
  • pay a £10 fee
  • provide proof of your identity and any other information we need.

Once we have received this, we will process your application within 40 calendar days.


Contact us

Adult, Health and Wellbeing Department:

  • 01766 771000
  • Information Officer, Adult, Health and Wellbeing Department, Gwynedd Council, Shirehall Street, Caernarfon, LL55 1SH

Children and Supporting Families Department:

  • 01286 679 223
  • Information Officer, Adult, Children and Supporting Families Department, Gwynedd Council, Shirehall Street, Caernarfon, LL55 1SH