Support for unpaid carers

If you care for an elderly or disabled person, you can ask for a carer’s assessment unless we have not already offered you one. This is a chance for you to discuss your caring responsibilities with us, so we can find out how you could benefit from extra services or support.

You can decide whether you want a joint assessment with the person you care for, or a separate carer’s assessment.

Help to get the best out of your assessment


Request a carer’s assessment

To arrange a carer’s assessment, please contact us: 

Contact us


What happens during the carer’s assessment?

A social worker will arrange to visit you. They will chat to you to find out what help you need and what is important to you as a carer. You can also discuss any problems or difficulties. You may want to discuss things like:

  • do you get enough sleep?
  • is your health affected by caring?
  • are you able to get out and about?
  • do you get time for yourself?
  • are you worried you might have to give up work?

The assessment will identify what kind of help you need and how you can get it. You will be given a copy of the assessment.


What help am I likely to receive?

Support that may be available includes a break from caring, access to training, invitations to carers events and signposting to relevant services.

It should be noted that eligibility criteria mean that not all carers are eligible to receive a service directly from the Council

If you have any concerns or questions, ask!

Help to get the best out of your assessment

Guide for carers - emergencies