Questions and answers - weddings / civil partnerships

A rehearsal ceremony can take place in an approver hotel or property. It is not possible for a rehearsal to be held at a register office. To arrange a rehearsal contact us on 01766 771000.

The purpose of a formal notice is to ensure that you are an eligible resident in the county and that there are no legal constraints for you to get married.

The formal notice will be displayed on a public notice board at Siop Gwynedd Caernarfon. The Registry Service will then prepare your certificates which give you the legal right for you to marry. 

The certificates issued after the 28 day notice period remain valid for 12 months from the day you give notice. For example – if you give notice on 2 April 2019, your certificates will be issued on 1 May 2019 and will be valid until 2 April 2020. 

The ceremony can be held at any date within the valid period (see question above). However, the new date must be agreed with the registration service. Please call 01766 771000.

If you decide to change the location of the ceremony after you have given your formal notice, your certificates will not be valid.  You will have to give another formal notice and re-pay the fees. Please contact us on 01766 771000. 

Yes. You must live in the area where you give your formal notice for at least 7 days before you give the notice.
I live outside Wales/ England but want to get married in Gwynedd. What should I do?
Contact us by calling 01766 771000. 

No – nobody else has the right to give a formal notice on your behalf.  Both of you must give a formal notice. 

You will need to show:

  1. either a passport or birth certificate (we may need other documents, please ask the Registrar for the up to date requirements).

  2. proof of address: either a rent document, council tax bill, recent public service bill or  bank statement

  3. Marital / civil partnership status (if relevant)
    -  in a divorce /separation case - certificate of Decree Absolute
    -  death - death certificate of former spouse

The list above refers specifically to residents from the UK. If either of you are from outside the UK, or have been divorced in another country, you should discuss with the Registration Service before making an appointment to give a formal notice. 


Ceremony fees


More information

If you are unable to find an answer to your question on this page, please contact us by calling 01766 771000.