Tell us about any change of circumstances

Don't leave it until the next time we contact you - tell us now.

Tell us about a change in circumstances

If you need a paper form or need help to complete the online form please contact us.


Why you need to tell us about changes?

  • The law says you must tell us if there is any change to the information we have used to decide on your entitlement to Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and Education Benefits. 
  • You must inform us of any changes as soon as they happen.
  • These are some of the changes that you should tell us about:  
    • you change address 
    • you or your partner have changes in your income, e.g. wages, pensions or Working and Child Tax Credit. You start or cease receiving Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment & Support Allowance, Universal Credit etc. 
    • a dependant child leaves school, whether or not your Child Benefit entitlement ceases
    • any rent you receive from a sub-tenant increases or decreases
    • someone comes to live with you or leaves your household
    • the circumstances or income of a non-dependant in the household changes, e.g. starts work, gets married etc.
    • your rent increases or decreases (Private Tenant only)
    • any increase or decrease in your capital/savings. 

The list does not cover every change, but you should report all changes that may affect the amount of housing benefit / council tax reduction that you receive. If you are overpaid, the overpayment will be recoverable from you.