Street collection

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you require a street collection licence from your local council.

Application evaluation process

Prospective applicants should contact the Council regarding the dates of when and where within Gwynedd it is proposed to undertake the street collection. If a specific date is available, the date will be provisionally allocated to the first person / organisation to apply to the Council for that date, subject to receiving written confirmation from the organisation. Applications can be made up to a year in advance, but must be made no later than one month prior to the proposed date of the collection. However, in special circumstances, such as a disaster, less than one month’s notice can be taken.


For more information and an application form, call 01766 771000.

Relevant legislation

Charities Act 1992 

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. 

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.