Food premises registration

The law requires that premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) should be registered. This must be done at least 28 days before starting up. There is no fee involved.

If you are setting up a new food business, it is your responsibility to inform us and to register your business.  Further information can be found in the notes on registration of food premises.

It is also your responsibility to inform us of any changes to the business, or if the business is closing, within 28 days of the change.


How to register a food premises?

You can register your business online using the link below:

Register a food business online (

There is no charge for food registration and registration cannot be refused.


After submitting the registration form

Once you have completed and returned your form, your details will be entered onto our database. As a local authority we have to keep a record of all food premises that are registered with us.

Your registration form will be acknowledged and a member of our Food Safety Team will visit your premises to carry out a food hygiene inspection.

You must notify us if there are any changes to your food business, such as a new food business operator or if you stop trading.


Contact our Food Safety Team

You can contact our Food Safety Team for more information about food premises registration by emailing or by calling 01766 771 000

Further information

If you run a food business you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent  premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they are normally kept.

Food businesses can include home caterers, clubs, market stalls, child minders, vehicles and some domestic premises if they are used to store, handle or prepare food. Food includes drinks, confectionery and wrapped food.

Approval of food premises

Certain establishments may require approval under 853/2004 which specifically looks at products of animal origin. Further information: food premises - approve


178/2002: General principles and requirements of food law
852/2004: On the hygiene of foodstuffs
853/2004: Specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin

Public Register

View the public register of Gwynedd registered food business establishments

Useful websites

The Food Standards Agency
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
Food and Drink Federation
Drinking Water Inspectorate
Trading Standards Institute
Health and Safety Executive