Market stall

To operate a market stall, you need the consent of the local authority.

Eligibility criteria
Applicants must have relevant and sufficient insurance cover.

Will tacit consent apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Application evaluation process

Casual traders – Casual traders are not licensed for a particular market but can turn up on market day and be allocated any available space. This would be dependant on the trader’s line not clashing unduly with a permanent trader’s, and the responsibility for deciding the appropriateness of the trader would lie with the Market Superintendant.

Permanent traders – To apply for a permanent market stall you must start off as a Casual Trader. Once a permanent pitch becomes available, and you are at the top of the Casual Traders list, if the products you supply are not already adequately provided for, you will be offered the pitch and become immediately licensed, should you accept.

For more information and an application form, call 01766 771000.

Relevant legislation
Markets and Fairs Clauses Act 1847 (external link)

Failed application redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.