Non domestic rates

Non domestic rates are charged on most retail and non-domestic premises e.g. shops, offices, pubs, factories etc.

The Council is responsible for collecting the rates. The money is then put in a national pot, and redistributed to the Councils on the basis of population, to be spent on services, and police and crime commissioner.

If you use a building (or part of a building) for a business, it is likely that you will need to pay business rates. Whoever is occupying the building usually pays the rates, not the owner.

 Information on how your bill is calculated


How to pay  

  • Download Direct Debit form

    Direct Debit is the easiest way of paying. You can pay on the 5th, 15th, 21st or 28th of the month. 

  • Pay online

  • Phone: 01766 771000  (between 8:30 and 17:00 Monday to Friday)

  • Through the post: Send a cheque or postal order to: Income Unit, Council Offices, Shirehall Street, Caernarfon , LL55 1SH.

    All cheques and postal orders should be crossed 'Account Payee' and made payable to “Gwynedd Council”. Please quote your reference and name/address on the back of the cheque. Receipts will not be sent for cheque payments from now on.


Problems paying

If you are having difficulties paying the bill, please contact us straight away:

Reductions, reliefs and empty properties

Information about the support available