School uniform grant
We operate a scheme which provides a grant towards the cost of purchasing clothing and footwear for secondary school pupils (year 7-11).
Can I get financial support to buy school uniforms?
Yes, if you receive one of the following benefits:
- Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Child Tax Credit (with annual taxable income not exceeding £16,190).
- Pension Credit (Guarantee)
- Help under Immigration and Asylum Seekers Act 1999
- Universal Credit
Families in receipt of Working Tax Credit are not eligible even if their annual taxable income is less than £16,190.
How much is the grant?
£105.00 (per child) is payable to pupils in year 7 and £45 (per child) to pupils year 8-11.
How do I make an application?
If you receive Housing Tax Benefit or Council Tax reduction from Gwynedd Council, you will not have to complete an application form for school uniform grant, we will assess your right automatically. If you do not receive Housing Tax Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Gwynedd Council, and are of the opinion that your family is entitled to school uniform grant, you can download the application form below.
**Application form will be available soon!**
How often do I have to make an application?
- If you receive Housing Tax Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Gwynedd Council, you will not have to complete an application form at specific times, we will review your right automatically.
- If you do not receive Housing Tax Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Gwynedd Council, you will need to make an application every year. The Benefit office will send you a form when you need to make a new application. You only need to complete one form for all your children, even if they attend different schools.
What if I live in Gwynedd but my child attends a school in another county i.e. Isle of Anglesey?
Your child must attend a school in Gwynedd to claim a school uniform grant from Gwynedd Council. If your child attends school in any other county you must make an application to that Council for a school uniform grant.
My situation has changed, what should I do?
It is your responsibility to notify the Council’s Benefits office of any changes in your financial / family circumstances. If you do not do this Gwynedd Council can ask for this money back.
You can tell us about any change of circumstances on-line.
Contacting the Benefits office