School uniform and pupil development grant
Pupil Development Grant
Welsh Government are offering funding towards a Pupil Development Grant scheme.
The Council offers families on low incomes a grant to buy:
- school uniform, coats and shoes;
- school sports kit and footwear;
- uniform for after school activities, including scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- specialist equipment for pupils following courses such as design and technology
- equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
The funding (£125 per pupil) is available to pupils who receive Free School Meals or are looked after entering:
- reception Class of maintained primary schools in September 2018
- year 7 of maintained secondary schools in September 2018; or
- pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 or aged 11 in September 2018.
School Uniform Grant
Also, Gwynedd Council offer a grant of £45.00 per pupil towards the cost of buying clothing and footwear for secondary school pupils, which are years 8 – 11.
Who are entitled to the grants?
If you receive one of these benefits you may be entitled to receive a grant:
- Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Child Tax Credit (with annual taxable income under £16,190).
- Pension Credit (Guarantee)
- Help under Immigration and Asylum Seekers Act 1999
- Universal Credit
If you receive Working Tax Credit you are not entitled, even if your annual taxable income is under £16,190.
How do I apply?
If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Gwynedd Council, you will not have to fill out an application form for a grant, we will assess your right automatically. If you do not receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Gwynedd Council, and think your family may be entitled to a grant, fill out this application form:
Download application form
How often do I have to apply?
If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Gwynedd Council, you will not have to complete an application form at specific times, we will assess your right automatically.
If you do not receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Gwynedd Council, you will need to make an application every year. The Benefit office will send you a form when you need to make a new application. You only need to complete one form for all your children, even if they attend different schools.
What if I live in Gwynedd but my child attends a school in another county i.e. Isle of Anglesey?
Your child must attend a school in Gwynedd to receive a grant from Gwynedd Council. If your child attends school in any other county, you must apply to that Council for a grant.
My situation has changed, what should I do?
It is your duty to let the Council’s Benefits office know of any changes in your financial / family situation. If you do not do this, Gwynedd Council can ask for this money back.
Tell us about any changes on-line.
Contacting the Benefits office
Phone: 01286 682689