Gwynedd Council have a Marine code that must be obeyed.

View registering and launching fees

How to register / renew permit

Before you register/renew you must read the Gwynedd harbours and coast regulations and certify that the vessel is insured for a minimum sum of £3 million third party.

The first time you register you will receive a large permanent permit, and a small permit which needs to be renewed annually.

When you register, you also have the option to purchase an annual launch permit - allowing you to launch as many times as you like in Gwynedd during the year without paying the daily launch fee.

  • Post: Download vessel registration form 
    Return to the address noted on the form along with a cheque for the appropriate fee.
    Please note: Card payments will not be accepted at the Main Council Offices. Postal applications may take up to 14 days to be processed – incomplete or illegible forms will not be processed. 
  • Register in person:  You can register at any of the Councils Harbour Offices or main beaches during the summer months: View Harbour offices / main beaches contact details.
    All vessels less than 10 HP must register in person and the vessel must be available for inspection. 
    Please note: cash, card or cheque payments.  

Daily launching fee

There is a daily launch fee of £20 to launch from Gwynedd’s beaches or public slipways.

Please note: cash, card or cheque payments.

Annual launching fee

Alternatively you can purchase an annual launch permit which is inclusive of the registration fee, and which allows you to launch your craft from any of Gwynedd’s public slipways or beaches without paying the daily launch fee. Annual launching permits can be applied for via the post or in person

Please note: The registration year runs from 1 April to 31 March.

Permit transfer

If you change your boat/craft you will require new permits.

Please do not remove the large permits from your old vessel, but if possible remove the smaller permits and return, together with the old and new craft details and a cheque for the appropriate fee to the address below:

Maritime and Country Parks Service, Gwynedd Council, Embankment Road, Pwllheli, Gwynedd. LL53 5AA

Replacing a lost or damaged permit 

If your permit is lost or damaged, you will need to apply for a replacement permit by contacting the Maritime and Country Parks Service directly on 01758 704066 or via e-mail

Contact us

  • Email:
  • Phone: 01758 704066 
  • Address: Maritime Office, Gwynedd Council, Embankment Road, Pwllheli, Gwynedd, LL53 5AA.