Supporting people – Preventing homelessness

The Supporting People programme commissions and funds providers to offer support to vulnerable people to keep their tenancy and avoid homelessness. 

The aim of the programme is to enable vulnerable people, at risk of homelessness, to live as independently as possible, by providing housing-related support services.

This could be in people’s own homes, hostels, sheltered housing, or other specialist supported housing. It provides complementary support for people who may also need personal or medical care.

There are over 20 Supporting People Accredited Service Providers offering support in Gwynedd at present.

If you’re:

  • a person experiencing domestic abuse
  • a person who has learning difficulties or physical disability
  • a person with mental health issues
  • a person with substance misuse issues
  • a person with a criminal offending history
  • a person with refugee status
  • a person with a physical or sensory difficulties
  • a person with a chronic illness
  • a young person who is a Care Leaver
  • a young  person with  support needs (aged 16 – 24)
  • a single parent with support needs
  • a family with support needs
  • a single person with support needs (aged 25 – 54)
  • a person aged 55 or over with support needs

You could be eligible to receive support from a Provider to help:

  • establish and sustain a home
  • develop domestic, practical and social skills 
  • develop basic life skills, such as managing money, cooking, shopping and supporting to pay your bills
  • gain access to training, educations and work
  • gain access to services such as health, social care and legal services
  • find suitable accommodation and related support services
  • community alarm systems
  • warden services

How to apply for support?

Contact your housing officer, social worker, doctor/ nurse, or probation officer in the first place, or you can contact the service providers directly.

How much does the service cost?

If your receiving housing benefits, the Supporting People service will be available free of charge. If not, you can apply for an assessment which could mean you’re eligible to receive financial support towards your costs.

Service standards

All Supporting People providers must satisfy strict conditions and criteria to ensure that a service of the highest standard is provided. All providers are accredited, and they must supply evidence which confirms their:

  • financial viability
  • competence to handle and account for Supporting People Grant
  • have effective employment policies
  • have robust management procedures
  • competence/track record
  • can demonstrate examples of good practice.

If these standards are not executed or if you have a complaint about the service you have received from a service provider, contact the Council’s Supporting People Unit:

  • E-mail:
  • Phone: 01286 682603
  • Address: Supporting People Unit, Gwynedd Council, Penrallt, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 1BN

The Supporting People Operational Plan

The Supporting People Local Commissioning Plan is published annually by Gwynedd Council. View a copy of the plan here


Privacy Notice:

The personal information collected will be used to confirm that you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, find what support will fit your needs, help to improve the support you and others receive, that this support is value for money, and help us to plan for the future

Your personal information can be shared and used by;  The Welsh Government,  NHS Wales Informatics Services, Swansea University Secure Anonymised Information Linkage Databank, Wales Audit Office, European Commission,  Supporting People Teams within other Local Authorities across North Wales, Housing Benefit, Support Providers and the Department of Work and Pensions.

The processing of your personal data is necessary for the purposes of administering the Gwynedd Supporting People Programme grant (funded by the Welsh Government), which we do as part of our function as a public authority.  Gwynedd Council will retain your information for 6 years from the end of your support, in line with Financial Regulations.

For further information about how Gwynedd Council processes personal data, your rights and details of how to make a complaint, please see our privacy notice on our website or request a copy from the Council.

If you feel the Council have mishandled your personal data at any time, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office by visiting their website or calling their website helpline on 0303 123 1113.