Support for carers

If you care for an elderly or disabled person, you can ask for a carer’s assessment. This is a chance for you to discuss your caring responsibilities with us, so we can find out how you could benefit from extra services or support.

You can decide whether you want a joint assessment with the person you care for, or a separate carer’s assessment.

If you are a parent of a child with a disability your needs will be assessed alongside those of your child and family rather than a separate process.


Request a carer’s assessment

To arrange a carer’s assessment, please contact us: 


Contact Us...

map gwasanaethau cymdeithasol

1. Llŷn Area

2. Caernarfon Area

3. Bangor Area

4. Eifionydd and Meirionnydd North

5. South Meirionnydd Area

If you are a child / young person caring for someone, or adult caring for a child who is ill or disabled:


What happens during the carer’s assessment?

A social worker will arrange to visit you. They will ask questions to find out what help you need as a carer. You can also discuss any problems or difficulties. You may want to discuss things like:

  • do you get enough sleep?
  • is your health affected by caring?
  • are you able to get out and about?
  • do you get time for yourself?
  • are you worried you might have to give up work?

You and the social worker will work together to complete a carer assessment form. The assessment will outline what help you need and how we can help you. You will receive a copy of your assessment.


What help am I likely to receive?

Support that may be available includes a break from caring, access to training, invitations to carers events and signposting to relevant services.

The Council's eligibility criteria mean that not all carers are available to receive direct service from the Council or other agencies contracted by us.

If you have any concerns or questions, ask!