Putting the brakes on cowboy cabs
Gwynedd Council is cracking down on unlicensed and uninsured fake ‘taxi’ drivers who are taking advantage of unsuspecting customers.
With many revellers out and about during the festive season, it is important that Gwynedd residents have access to a reliable and trustworthy taxi service to get them home safely after a night out.
But as demand for taxis increases, so does the risk of unlicensed and uninsured individuals taking advantage of the situation and making money out of those needing a lift home.
Those individuals offering lifts via social media or on the spot for payment without the necessary licence are operating illegally and could face prosecution.
This endangers the safety of customers and other road users. It also undermines the efforts of private hire and taxi drivers who work hard to operate within the law and deliver a high-quality service.
Councillor Dafydd Meurig, Gwynedd Council’s Cabinet Member for the Environment, said: “Public safety is paramount, especially for people who are getting a taxi by themselves.
“There is a reliable and efficient licensed taxi and private hire industry in Gwynedd, and these licensed drivers are committed to making sure that people can get home safely after a night out.
“They have secured the necessary licence and insurance they need to operate and work closely with the Council in order to deliver a trustworthy service.”
Tips for taxi customers:
- Only hackney taxis are licensed to collect passengers from the roadside.
- You have to pre-book a private hire vehicle in advance – they are not authorised to collect someone who has flagged them down.
- Every licensed vehicle has a unique license number displayed on the front, rear and internally and every licensed driver has a unique I.D badge. If you cannot see one, ask for it and, if in doubt, wait for the next vehicle.
- All hackney taxis have a meter, which calculates the fare by the time and the distance.
- There is no guarantee that unlicensed drivers/vehicles are safe.
- Please ensure you have the necessary money to get yourself home. Licensed taxi drivers are working hard to earn a living and to ensure the safety of all passengers.
For more information, contact Gwynedd Council’s Licensing Team via email: email@example.com or telephone 01766 771 000.