A new beginning for Gwynedd leisure centres
Gwynedd Council has established a new company, Byw’n Iach, to manage the county’s 12 leisure centres. Despite this change, those using the facilities can expect to receive the same high level of service from the welcoming staff.
During the coming year, leisure centre users are likely to see a number of improvements and additions including:
- improvements to facilities in a number of centres, for example new surface on synthetic pitches at Byw’n Iach Plas Ffrancon in Bethesda and Plas Silyn in Penygroes and improvements to family and disabled changing spaces at Byw’n Iach Dwyfor in Pwllheli and Glaslyn, Porthmadog;
- new activities for children and young people including new gymnastics sessions which are in the pipeline in Meirionnydd;
- new offers within the fitness programme, such as introducing “Powerwave” sessions to the timetable in a number of centres;
- new classes for adults included within the Direct Debit membership package, such as swimming lessons and social sports sessions;
- a new Excellence Card offering free access to facilities for budding Gwynedd athletes competing on the international stage.
Councillor Gareth Thomas, Gwynedd Council Cabinet Member who is responsible for Leisure matters said: “As a Council, we want Gwynedd people to have access to quality leisure facilities and we hope that the decision to establish the Byw’n Iach company will help us to secure this for the future.”
Amanda Davies, Byw’n Iach Managing Director added: “The Byw’n Iach staff have worked very hard over recent months to prepare for the transfer and by now are looking forward with enthusiasm towards building on the success of the service within the Council.
“The future will undoubtedly be challenging but we will be innovative and creative as we look for opportunities to realise our vision of ‘Every resident a customer, every family improving their health and wellbeing, every community benefiting.’ That is our ambition for the service that Gwynedd people can expect from Byw’n Iach.”
For more information about the wide-range of activities at your local leisure centre, please visit www.bywniach.cymru – over the coming months, more and more features will be added to the website including fitness blogs, videos and keep-fit plans.
PHOTOGRAPH: Byw’n Iach Managing Director, Amanda Davies (second from right) with some of the company’s board members, Councillor Jason Parry, Councillor Beth Lawton and Councillor Dewi Owen