Investing over a million in Gwynedd's schools
Gwynedd Council will be investing more than a million pounds in upgrading schools within the county over the coming months.
Much of the work by the Council’s Property department will be carried out over the summer holidays will see around £1,037,000 being spent in primary and secondary schools in all parts of Gwynedd.
Councillor Dafydd Meurig, Gwynedd Council Cabinet Member who leads on property matters, said:
“I’m delighted that we are investing in the county’s school buildings over the coming months and am confident that the pupils, their parents, teachers and governors of the schools which receive this investment will benefit from the improvements. The work will ensure that our schools are more pleasant places to work and for the children to receive their education.
“The programme has been extremely successful in improving the condition of our school buildings in recent years and this year’s program will once again have a significant impact. All sorts of tasks will be carried out as part of the work programme, for instance new windows, upgrading kitchens and new roofs.
“As a Council, we place great emphasis on reducing costs by conserving energy. So once again we will be looking at ways of improving insulation and making our heating systems as efficient as possible.”
The various improvement works being carried out at various Gwynedd schools include:
- Ysgol y Gelli, Caernarfon – Upgrading the school’s hot water system, placing new doors, improving the drainage pipes.
- Ysgol Dolbadarn, Llanberis – New covering on the flat roof, re-plastering.
- Ysgol Tryfan, Bangor – Improving the perimeter fence.
- Ysgol Dyffryn Ogwen, Bethesda – Improving the toilets, upgrading the external walls.
- Ysgol Dyffryn Nantlle, Penygroes – Installing new uPVC Windows and doors, maintenance work on the parapet, re-wiring work and installing new lights, recladding the outside walls.
- Ysgol Syr Hugh Owen, Caernarfon – Installing new Windows.
- Ysgol Tudweiliog – Rewiring the Building.
- Ysgol Cymerau, Pwllheli – Improving the flat roof.
- Ysgol Treferthyr, Criccieth – Installing a new boiler.
- Ysgol Pont-y-Gof, Botwnnog – Improving the electrical wiring in the school.
- Ysgol Eifionydd, Porthmadog – Upgrading the flat roof covering, inspecting the drains to see if improvement work is needed.
- Ysgol Botwnnog – Work on the roof.
- Ysgol yr Eifl, Trefor – Refurbishing the toilets.
- Ysgol y Traeth, Barmouth – Upgrading the kitchen and installing a new ventilation system in it, repairing the roof.
- Ysgol Ardudwy, Harlech – Improving the flat roof, installing new floor tiles.
- Ysgol Talsarnau – Installing new fire alarms.
- Ysgol Bro Tryweryn, Frongoch – New windows.