The Act requires local authorities to continuously improve facilities and routes for pedestrians and cyclists and to prepare maps identifying current and potential future routes for their use.
The Act also requires new road schemes (including road improvement schemes) to consider the needs of pedestrians and cyclists at design stage.
Gwynedd Council’s Existing Route Maps have been approved by Welsh Government and can be viewed below.
Next Stage - Integrated Network Maps
Gwynedd Council are now tasked to complete the Integrated Network Maps for the twelve settlements agreed with Welsh Government. The purpose of which is to find ways of connecting walking and cycling routes within or if appropriate between settlements. This will include a period of public consultation during the summer of 2017 with the maps being introduced to Welsh Government by November 2017.
To be involved in the Integrated Network Maps process and receive information regarding public consultation phase please send an email to:
Following the initial public consultation a report has been produced for the Welsh Government detailing
- Gwynedd Council’s consultation conclusions
- A statement referring to Gwynedd’s failed audited routes
- Copies of the Existing Route Maps for the three audited settlements.
Existing Active Travel Route Map
Gwynedd Council's Existing Route Maps Statement
Gwynedd Council have released Reports about Active Travel.
Audited walking routes (First Phase Routes)
Audited cycling routes (First Phase Routes)
Audited cycling routes (Second Phase Routes)
Audited walking routes (Second Phase Routes)
The timetable put in place by the Active Travel Act is as follows:
- 22 January 2016 Submission of the existing route maps to Welsh Government – This timescale has now been extended to September 2016.
- 3 November 2017 Submission of the integrated network map and resubmission of the existing route map to Welsh Government.
- 24 September 2020 Resubmission of the existing route map and the integrated network map to Welsh Government.
Contact us by:
Phone: 01286 679413